Re: "stored in a retrieval system"

Subject: Re: "stored in a retrieval system"
From: John Mitchell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 07:31:25 -0400
Rebecca,

My guess is that the "intent of the parties" probably focused on electronic
retrieval, but even so, there is no "exclusive right of electronic retrieval,"
as such. This kind of confusion and silliness can be abated somewhat if
copyright licenses or restrictions conform to actual copyright law.
Presumably, you are speaking of U.S. law (Iowa). In that case, I would filter
the language two ways.

First, legally, I would toss out nonsense that is, at best, a contract
restriction, and at worst, an abuse (misuse) of copyright. Where the law
allows certain actions and places them outside the scope of the copyright,
then any copyright holder's attempt to leverage real copyrights into control
over actions excluded from the copyright are suspect.

Second, I would put it in plain legal English (with a bow to Graham Cornish):

> Unless otherwise permitted by U.S. law, No Part of this publication work of
authorship may be reproduced into copies or phonorecords, (including
reproductions onto a server or other storage medium from which copies can be
made, performed publicly or displayed publicly stored in a retrieval system),
> or transmitted reproduced, displayed publicly, or performed publicly, in any
form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical,
> photocopying, recorded records, or otherwise, without the prior written
permission of
> the copyright holder publisher.

Does it make a little more sense that way?

And no, under that reading, a "retrieval system" is not a bookshelf or filing
cabinet (or, as in my case, a pile of paper).

John
John T. Mitchell
Interaction Law
1629 K Street, NW, Suite 300