Re: E-Reserves question

Subject: Re: E-Reserves question
From: Chris Holobar <jch4@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:21:17 -0400
Kevin, an interesting argument - one that I hadn't considered. Section 108 (f)(4) also states that "Nothing in this section  in any way affects the right of fair use as provided by section 107, or any contractual obligations assumed at any time by the library or archives when it obtained a copy or phonorecord of a work in its collections," which would seem to privilege the provisions of 107 over 108. Perhaps the status of an e-reserve made from an ILL article as a copy of a copy of a (presumably purchased) copy would play a role, but I wonder whether a compelling argument against an otherwise fair use would turn on this question. Interesting to speculate.

Chris