Re: fair use of psychological scales

Subject: Re: fair use of psychological scales
From: "Oppenheimer, Martin A." <Martin.Oppenheimer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 14:10:10 +0000
We had a situation where we purchased a license to a proprietary set of
guidelines for laser safety, and one of the safety personnel unwittingly
posted them on the university website in a manner that made them
accessible to anyone who wanted them.  It was clear when we looked at the
situation with outside counsel that this action violated the terms of  our
license and potentially disrupted the company's ability to sell the
guidelines to others (who could now download the guidelines from the web
for free.)  We negotiated a monetary settlement with the copyright owner.

Marty

Martin Oppenheimer
Senior Counsel for Business Affairs
Tufts University