Re: New E-reserves question

Subject: Re: New E-reserves question
From: Sandy Thatcher <sandy.thatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 19:24:32 -0500
If I were the publisher, I would make the following deal: assuming that the book does not yet exist in digitized form, I would ask the library to make a digital file of it in PDF form and give that file to the publisher in exchange for free use of the work for the professor's class for one year. If the professor wanted to use the book in subsequent years, the book could be printed on demand through Lightning Source (or through an Expresso Book Machine) and sold for a modest price of, say, $15 per student. That, to me, is a win-win for both publisher and user. I think HarperCollins is being shortsighted and unimaginative. You might want to write back to HC and make this proposal. The library's cost of digitizing the book would probably not be much more than $100.

Sandy Thatcher