Re: E-Reserves question

Subject: Re: E-Reserves question
From: Kevin Smith <kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 18:00:43 +0000
While it is true that the AAP FAQ contains that rhetorical acknowledgement of
fair use, the rest of the document indicates how meaningless it is.  In
section 5, when the document is responding to the question of how fair use
actually applies to e-reserves, there are three examples of "facts and
circumstances" to be evaluated.  In each case the conclusion is that fair use
is "unlikely."  No positive example of a fair use is given and there is no
reference to any four factor analysis.  This contrasts with the CONFU
guidelines which, although extremely restrictive, do allow that single
articles and short excerpts are potential candidates for fair uses.  The AAP,
on the other hand, says that any amount "more than minimal" requires
permission.  Since courts have often recognized that "de minimis" use does not
implicate copyright or fair use at all, this formulation is a pretty explicit
rejection of fair use, in spite of the pro forma acknowledgement.

This is hardly a surprise.  Whereas CONFU is a statement based on negotiation,
and therefore forged through give and take, the AAP FAQ reflects no such
constraint.  It is simply a statement of self-interest, not a serious attempt
to apply the law.  Note also that all of the further sources of information
that are referenced are similarly statements from industry groups, not
negotiated guidelines.  While I am not a big fan of such guidelines, they at
least reflect a good faith attempt to deal with the real issues librarians and
faculty members confront, which is lacking in the AAP statement.

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communications
Duke University, Perkins Library
P.O. Box 90193
919-668-4451
kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx<mailto:kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx>

On Sep 2, 2011, at 5:14 PM, "Sandy Thatcher"
<sandy.thatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:sandy.thatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
du>> wrote:

I don't see how anyone can read the AAP FAQ as holding that fair use does not
apply to e-reserves at all.

E.g., this sentence under #3 does not say that: "The use of digitized
copyrighted content in an e-reserve system does not exempt users from paying
for the content, unless the copyright owner specifically agrees to its free
use or the use in the particular circumstances falls within the boundaries of
"fair use."

Hence there is no inconsistency in my supporting both the CONFU guidelines and
the AAP FAQ.

Sandy Thatcher