RE: E-Reserves question

Subject: RE: E-Reserves question
From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 21:35:33 +0000
I think if we were to be honest among ourselves we'd also find a lot of "don't
ask don't tell" going on. We don't keep records of every single item that has
ever been on reserve before here, so we don't KNOW for sure if this is the
first use or not.

"First use is fair use" is a bit simplistic. The way I understand it is that
if you have a first use that is a fair use, go ahead. If you have a question
about it, you can put it on reserve until you have resolved the question with
the rights holder -- but you have to take it down immediately if they refuse
permission or you can't pay.

Janet Brennan Croft
Associate Professor
Head of Access Services
University of Oklahoma Libraries
Bizzell 104NW
Norman OK 73019
405-325-1918
Fax 405-325-7618
jbcroft@xxxxxx
http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft/CurriculumVitae
http://libraries.ou.edu/
Book Review Editor of Oklahoma Librarian
http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the rising ape meets
the falling angel." -Terry Pratchett