Re: Downloading videos from YouTube?

Subject: Re: Downloading videos from YouTube?
From: John Ruttner <jruttner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:51:45 -0800
Legal aspects aside, there really is no advantage to having a copy of the file
within Blackboard in any case, since you have the ability to embed the YouTube
player window within Blackboard. Having it housed locally would mean first
that it would take up space and it would have to come from a server  at your
local institution, which could do it no more quickly or reliably than getting
it from the YouTube server.

John

On Jan 11, 2012, at 9:39 AM, Godsey-Bell, Connie F. (LNG-DAY) wrote:

> Hi,
> YouTube's downloading policy says "downloading videos from YouTube is not
> supported ...", except for the instance of downloading your own uploaded
> videos to MP4.  See Downloading YouTube Videos
> (http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=56100) and
> Section 5 of the Terms of Service (http://www.youtube.com/t/terms?hl=en_US)
> which says "...You shall not download any Content unless you see a
"download"
> or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You
> shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell,
> license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without
the
> prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the
Content.
> ..."   I believe if you have written consent to download the content, it
> appears to be permissible. I don't think posting it in Blackboard without
> permission would be permissible. Thanks.

John Ruttner
Senior Instructional Designer
Online and Distributed Learning
CSUSB

If you dont know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.

Yogi Berra