[digital-copyright] Copyright in Anatomical Models?

Subject: [digital-copyright] Copyright in Anatomical Models?
From: ESperr@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 14:33:35 -0400
(apologies for cross-posting)

Greetings! I have a feeling that this has been asked before, so sorry if
this question seems <pun>derivative</pun>.

What protection does the creator of a three-dimensional work (in this
case, an anatomical model) have regarding two-dimensional photographs of
that work?

To give some context, we have faculty that want to use such photographs of
anatomical models (models that they have already purchased) in the process
of teaching their course. Would such photographs be original works in
themselves, or derivative works of the original object? If the latter, how
do I go about conducting a fair-use analysis? [For example, I usually rely
a lot upon "extent", but I have no idea how that would apply in this
case...]

Thanks!
Ed Sperr, M.L.I.S.
Copyright and Electronic Resources Officer
St. George's University
esperr@xxxxxxx