RE: [digital-copyright] Copyright in Anatomical Models?

Subject: RE: [digital-copyright] Copyright in Anatomical Models?
From: "Peter B. Hirtle" <pbh6@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 09:34:56 +0000
As to copyright, if the original anatomical models were considered to be
"useful objects," they may not have any copyright in them at all.  The only
copyright, then, would be in the photographs of the object.  If there are
artistic elements in the models that could be separate from their form,
however, those elements could be protected and one would need the permission
of the copyright owner to photograph them (or use fair use, as you suggest).

Public Knowledge recently published one of the clearest explanations I have
seen of copyright in 3D objects.  Here is what I recently wrote about it in
Current Cites.  See in particular his discussion of copyright in mannequins:

Weinberg, Michael. What's the Deal with Copyright and 3d
Printing?<http://www.publicknowledge.org/Copyright-3DPrinting>  Washington,
D.C.: Public Knowledge, February
2013.(http://www.publicknowledge.org/Copyright-3DPrinting). - In January a
mini-tempest arose over whether 3D printing and makerspaces were compatible
with the mission of libraries. (You can find a overview of the discussion and
relevant links
here<http://www.alatechsource.org/blog/2013/01/3d-printing-in-libraries-inspi
ration-or-distraction.html>.) If librarians are going to be involved with 3D
printing, then they are also going to have to think about copyright. Michael
Weinberg's study is a remarkably clear and readable introduction to some of
the most difficult concepts in intellectual property: the difference between
copyright and patents; the severability of form from useful function; and the
"merger doctrine." Weinberg's most important contribution is the "reminder
that not everything - not even every digital thing - is protected by
copyright." This report is a welcome addition to his earlier introduction to
3D printing It Will Be Awesome if They Don't Screw it Up: 3D Printing,
Intellectual Property, and the Fight Over the Next Great Disruptive
Technology.

Peter B. Hirtle, FSAA
Senior Policy Advisor
Digital Scholarship and Preservation Services
Cornell University Library
2B53 Kroch Library
Ithaca, NY  14853
peter.hirtle@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:peter.hirtle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
t.  607.255-4033
f.  607.255-9524
http://vivo.cornell.edu/individual/vivo/individual23436
Copyright and Cultural Institutions: Guidelines for Digitization for U.S.
Libraries, Archives, and Museums:
http://hdl.handle.net/1813/14142