RE: [digital-copyright] Advice on dealing with settlement requests in DMCA infringement notices

Subject: RE: [digital-copyright] Advice on dealing with settlement requests in DMCA infringement notices
From: "Lee, Dan" <leed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 23:58:58 +0000
Niall -

As these messages don't meet the requirements of notices specified in the DMCA
our campus attorney has decided that we don't have to respond to them. On the
other hand, they are providing us with evidence that a violation of our campus
code of conduct has taken place. Thus I pass the details on to the user
identified and copy the Dean of Students office for enforcement, but I delete
the part of the message that approaches extortion. I don't really want to
scare the poor students unnecessarily. The other key piece with these is that
they rarely supply sufficient data to reliably identify the user.

Dan Lee
Director, Office of Copyright Management and Scholarly Communication,
University of Arizona
leed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:leed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
(520)621-6433