Re: [digital-copyright] Advice on dealing with settlement requests in DMCA infringement notices

Subject: Re: [digital-copyright] Advice on dealing with settlement requests in DMCA infringement notices
From: claudia holland <chollan3@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:14:25 -0500
This brings up another challenging point re: DMCA notices. I would be
interested in hearing how others interpret the time stamp provided in a
notice. Whether your process is totally automated or your computer logs
are being checked manually, how close to the time stamp provided does
your user have to be logged on to be identified as the potential
infringer? That is, what is the time "window" you are using to make that
determination. We have many false positives or simply an indeterminate
ID because of the time stamp issue.

Feel free to respond privately, if you like.

On 2/27/13 6:58 PM, Lee, Dan wrote:

> Niall --
>
> As these messages don't meet the requirements of notices specified in
> the DMCA our campus attorney has decided that we don't have to respond
> to them. On the other hand, they are providing us with evidence that a
> violation of our campus code of conduct has taken place. Thus I pass
> the details on to the user identified and copy the Dean of Students
> office for enforcement, but I delete the part of the message that
> approaches extortion. I don't really want to scare the poor students
> unnecessarily. The other key piece with these is that they rarely
> supply sufficient data to reliably identify the user.
>
> Dan Lee
>
> Director, Office of Copyright Management and Scholarly Communication,
>
> University of Arizona
>
> leed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:leed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> (520)621-6433

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of chollan3.vcf]