RE: [stella] Combat programming

Subject: RE: [stella] Combat programming
From: danboris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dan Boris)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 13:45:23 -0500
>The Atari 2600's joystick ports allegedly have a means for output that
>NOBODY EVER, EVER, EVER USED.

Actually the 2600 kepad controllers used the joystick ports as outputs.
The keypad use a scanning matrix, the 4 stick signals where programmed as
outputs and used to select the row to scan, and the coloumns where read
through the paddle inputs and trigger. I assume a similar scheme was used
for some of the 2600 keyboard add-ons that where made but I have never gotten
a chance to take one of these apart to see.

							Dan Boris