Re: [stella] let's go back to work!

Subject: Re: [stella] let's go back to work!
From: Bob Colbert <rcolbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 15:47:21 -0600 (CST)
> Conclusion: the next step from simple Combat/Adventure/Pong :-) games could
> be to write games falling in this wide category:
>
> first sprite=player, second sprite (recycled)=many enemies.
> Now we need a clear, well commented code for drawing this kind of screens.
> Any idea?

Yes, I have been working on this exact routine for the last few days.  I
still need to tweak it a bit, but to give you an idea of its power:

I have 7 copies of player 0 on screen at once, they can be moved anywhere
on the screen.  When 2 or more copies of player 0 interfere with
eachother, they rotate frames.  While this may sound bad, it looks very
good, because the time that the sprites actually overlap is very short.
When no players overlap, there is no flicker whatsoever.  Using this code,
I should be able to easily add player1, which would never flicker, and
could be moved anywhere on the screen.  Oh yeah, and all of the player0
copies are single resolution graphics, each with a different color.
All while a background is drawn on the screen.  While the code can handle
7 copies, 4 copies seems to look extremely good, i.e. you barely even
notice any flicker.

This brings up an interesting point.  While, I enjoy sharing ideas, I have
put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this code.  I will gladly share
it with the mailing list, but all I ask is that if someone uses it in a
game to please make mention of it!  It looks like I will be using this
code for a game soon.  I will post it to the mailing list in the next
couple of days.

			Take Care,
				Bob