Re: [stella] Making carts

Subject: Re: [stella] Making carts
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 02:34:59 GMT
>     Keep in mind that by limiting the production of the
>games you make, ie Retroware will never produce more then
>100 Okie Dokies, you are increasing the value of the carts
>you do produce.  I was given two Okies for supplying some
>of the carts used in production.  The carts originally sold
>for $18 each shipped (via priority mail).  Examples of items
>I've been offered in trade for my duplicate are Obliex, Ikari
>Warriors, Texas Chainsaw Massacure, Pole Position for the
>Vectrex, or a Playstation.
>     I think a good stratagey would be to limit the number
>of cartridges you make and then reserve the last five or
>ten games for future auctions or trades.  A limited production
>run does not mean that you can't make a substantial profit
>from your work.

Well, remember that Okie was one of the first homemade games, and homemade
games were in demand just for the novelty, but if we all start releasing a
game every few months, the novelty value goes down and people will want the
game for its gameplay rather than for its novelty (Kinda like the new
consoles like N64.. early on, all the games like Pilotwings and Mario 64
were snapped up because they were the only games available, but as time
goes on, more games become available and people can choose based on
gameplay.)  Plus, with a homemade game, you're never 100% assured that more
will never be made, while its pretty safe to assume no more CtCWs will be
produced, thus increasing CtCW's value as a rare item.

Anyways, I'm still going to worry about writing and debugging a game before
I start deciding how to release it... as of now, my most likely
distribution strategy seems similar to Bob Colbert's - have a free .BIN and
make a limited run of carts with an easter egg not in the .BIN.. but this
is all contingent on actually making a game.