Re: [stella] Atari 2600 Sound Scale

Subject: Re: [stella] Atari 2600 Sound Scale
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:03:36 -0700 (MST)
>>A lot of the distortions are just not going to register on a tuning metre
>>at all. Definetly not on a digital one, you'll have better luck with analogue.
>>
>>Actually, now that I think about it... it would probably be easiest to get
>>an accurate measure by bringing a sine wave on a synth into sync with the
>>2600, and then reading where you're at on the synth.

Some distortions might qualify as two or three notes at once.  In any event,
I suppose it would be easiest to get the highest pitches to register and
perhaps calculate the rest of the value based on intervals from the other
distortion.  For example, a pitch value of 3 is going to be the same note
as a value of 1, skipped down an octave.  And a value of 2 is going to be
six half-steps (600 cents) below 1, etc.  It might be productive to come
up with a table for that, then find the highest note, or at least some
common note in each distortion and work your way down from there.

My biggest fear about the list is that I'll habitually change the To
line in an important or personal message that doesn't even remotely belong
in this list.