Re: [stella] Emulating on a C64 or Amiga

Subject: Re: [stella] Emulating on a C64 or Amiga
From: Robin Harbron <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 08:33:18 -0400
Glenn Saunders wrote:

> I really don't think the C=64 has a chance at emulating a 2600.  I think
> the C=128 has better video modes available.  Maybe that's on the cusp of
> possibility.  If the Amiga can't do it, a C=64 better not be able to do it
> ;)

A 20Mhz 16-bit C64 can have more throughput than a 7.14? Mhz A500.
Depends
on what you're doing with it of course.  Additionally, since the 2600 &
64
share the same processor, that may be a plus as well.  We'll just have
to see :)

> What they can probably do is be taught to send starpath audio signals.

Yup, of the two projects I'm thinking about, this one would be the
easier
of the two ;)  And much more likely... of course the assembler is
already
in existence, the ability to play waves exists.  All that's needed is
the program to turn binaries into .wav's, and Bob has that source
available
in C.  Then it would be useful to integrate all three into a nice little
package, that would be a most popular thing to pass around, I think. :)
The other great suggestion that was made here was to make a program for
DOS (and I on the 64) that could play a binary file straight out, on the
fly.

This would allow people to program the Atari with a completely stock 64,
the kind you can sometimes find for $20.  This would also generate alot
of interest over in that camp of talented 65xx coders.

Robin Harbron
macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/