[stella] Shooting games

Subject: [stella] Shooting games
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 20:53:08 -0700 (PDT)
On 16 Jun 1997 Colin_Hughes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've also started work on a 3D maze game, kind of capture the flag meets

You may want to try stealing the diagonal routines from Mindmaster.  It's
possible to get smooth diagonals.  I don't know how Mindmaster does it.
I'm sure Dennis Caswell won't mind, but if I get a chance, I'll ask him.

> different sizes. I've got a feeling that this one wont fit into 2K.

You've got 6K to work with if you write for the Supercharger, and you can
multiload it like Mindmaster.

> I'm also going to try my hand at a shooting game, because I always enjoy
> them, ( I actually played 2600 Phoenix and the real arcade Phoenix via
> the relative emulators and I think the 2600 version is damm good )

I never liked the way Phoenix came out.  It's too damn easy, plus no
stars, plus the mothership wave is very disappointing.  I'm sure it could
be done better.  I'd be interested in seeing how CBS' GORF for the 2600
came out, the 400/800 version is damn good.  I believe Tigervision
released Threshold for the 2600, too, another I haven't seen.

Astro Blaster might make for an ambitious port or blueprint for a game.

Also, a better Vanguard-like scroller-shooter would be a good idea.  You
could then use multiloads for different waves or sets of waves.

Also, 2600 games never really got into powerups.  Normally that's a good
thing since game balance tends to suffer with powerups but if you wanted
to try something new, you could do a scroller/shooter with powerups.