Re: [stella] Frame Timed Sound Effects

Subject: Re: [stella] Frame Timed Sound Effects
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:23:19 +0100
At 16:16 +0200 22-06-1997, Eckhard Stolberg wrote:

>To make some use out of my frequency table I have written this little sound
>editor. It uses Supercharger RAM, so I have no idea, if it would work on an
>emulator. It allows to edit 256 lines of sound values per channel.

I was crying because no one noticed my game and I had forgotten to try this
demo. That's embarassing...

>Pushing the button and moving the Joystick up and down changes the value under
>the cursor.

After struggling for 20 minutes trying to make it work, I realized that the
joystick I had picked had a broken button... :-)

About the program: "Frame timed..."? Call it "ATARI 2600 Micro Composer"!!
Much cooler!

Or why not... "Atari VCS-Sinthy"? This is a sort of joke, being the EMS VCS
Sinthy an historical, much sought after analogue synthesizer (used by Pink
Floyd among the others).

I think that the 2600 with your program (with some upgrades, see below)
could be and interesting device for electronic musicians. For those who
aren't into modern electronic music, I will say that some of the most
talented musicians (like Richard James aka Aphex Twin) make their music
with old synths or even self-build hardware. The wonderful C64 SID has
already been used for electronic music, so why not the 2600 TIA chip and
its weird sounds?
And the 2600 could be modified to send _stereo_ output to the mixing desk!

Things needed...

- External syncronization. The 2600 should read a click track sent by an
external instrument (ie a drum machine, many have special outputs for this
purpose) to be able to play the sequence in time with the other
instruments. The signal could go throught one of the many joystick inputs,
and maybe no extra hardware could be needed!

- Repeat. Add a switch to enable sequence looping (easy)

- a more "musical" way to input the lenght of the steps. It shouldn't be an
absolute time value like now (the frames), but a relative duration (1/16,

- Utilities: batch change of values in a sequence etc etc... not very
important, we're not talking about the Cubase(tm) or Digital Performer(tm)
market here! :-)

On my opinion, this could be an original project. An old video game machine
playing the bassline in a killer techno track! I like it.

Ciao,
 P.