Re: [stella] Frame Timed Sound Effects

Subject: Re: [stella] Frame Timed Sound Effects
From: Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Eckhard Stolberg)
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 14:13:16 +0200
>>Pushing the button and moving the Joystick up and down changes the value under
>>the cursor.
>
>After struggling for 20 minutes trying to make it work, I realized that the
>joystick I had picked had a broken button... :-)

In that case: thanks for the patience. :-)

>About the program: "Frame timed..."? Call it "ATARI 2600 Micro Composer"!!
>Much cooler!

I called it "Frame Timed Sound Effects" so that nobody thinks it's for
editing music with the VCS. :-)

I just wanted a simple tool for editing sound effects and little tunes
for my games without having to change the source code every time. The way,
the program works right now, allows me to try out everything, that a frame
timed sound routine can do.

>Things needed...
>
>- External syncronization. The 2600 should read a click track sent by an
>external instrument (ie a drum machine, many have special outputs for this
>purpose) to be able to play the sequence in time with the other
>instruments. The signal could go throught one of the many joystick inputs,
>and maybe no extra hardware could be needed!

I don't have any intrument like this, and I have no idea how the protocol
for this works, so implementing that could be a little difficult.

>- Repeat. Add a switch to enable sequence looping (easy)

Weeell, there are only 6 bytes left, because I could'd create the text
output within one overscan loop and therefore had to store the graphical
data for all 256 byte values.

>- a more "musical" way to input the lenght of the steps. It shouldn't be an
>absolute time value like now (the frames), but a relative duration (1/16,

Had I wanted to do a music program, I would have used a Soundmaster 64 or
Soundtracker like interface.

Maybe I change ftsfx to that. But then again, the code renovation of
Cubis has taken over half a year now and is still not finished. So don't
expect a VCS Soundtracker from me anytime soon.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg