[stella] Interrupts

Subject: [stella] Interrupts
From: Frank Palazzolo <palazzol@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 20:32:53 -0400
I just had a wierd idea.  Although the 6507 has no interrupt
capability, the RIOT chip apparently can (and does?) generate an
interrupt signal.  (I'm not sure if it does this when the timer
reaches zero or what..?)

What if Atari had replaced the 6507 with a 6502, and connected
the IRQ line from the RIOT the the IRQ on the 6502.  Would this
add any useful functionality?  Would it break anything..?

It seems like you could try it except that the 6507 and 6502 aren't
pin compatible. (You'd need an adapter)

I thought of this while looking at an Atari "Star Wars" arcade game.
On it's sound board, it uses a 6809, a RIOT and 4 POKEYS, and seems
to allow the RIOT to interrupt the 6809.

Just wondering,
Frank Palazzolo

palazzol@xxxxxxx