[stella] TIA writes to overscan

Subject: [stella] TIA writes to overscan
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 19:54:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Robin Harbron wrote:
> 2) Why is overscan differentiated from the main 192 line
> display?  Can you not display graphics there?  Should
> you blank the screen for that area?  Is there anything
> special you should do in that area?

As far as I know, this is just a LCD convention to insure that a game will
be fully visible on all TVs.  It should be possible to extend your display
a few pixels below and above the conventional 2600 display.  IMHO, most
TVs have more visible bandwidth available than they did 20 years ago.

The whole debate over 2600s generating closed captioning has to do with
writing to the overscan area, for instance.