Re: [stella] Thanks for the enlightenment

Subject: Re: [stella] Thanks for the enlightenment
From: Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Eckhard Stolberg)
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 13:43:32 +0200
>I'll likely employ the B/W switch as a NTSC/PAL switch when I've got
>the game logic finished. It shouldn't be that hard to impliment, although
>a PAL user will have to tell me how the colours look. The clock will also

You could preselect the colours by using PCAE 2.0b's PAL feature and we
could tell you if they are as good on a real PAL VCS.

>have to be different in the PAL version as the second counter will be
>updated every 50 frames instead of 60.

That won't be nessessary. The framerate depends on the number of lines
drawn. If you do 262 lines, which practically all PAL TVs can sync to,
it will be almost 60 Hz on PAL too. The PAL VCS is a little bit slower
than the NTSC one, but that would only be a couple of seconds per day
in your timer. If you want to use a 50 Hz timer, which will be marginally
more acurate on PAL, you would have to blow up your graphics to 312 lines
per frame.

>But if you hold the joystick in position does the critter change?

Sorry, I was just too impatient about the delay. I started moving the
joystick even faster left and right, when the graphics didn't change. :-)
It works on PAL too, if you wait for the delay to expire.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg