Re: [stella] Who we are

Subject: Re: [stella] Who we are
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 14:37:27 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Piero Cavina wrote:
> hmmm... if someone is writing in secret then he shouldn't smile, there was
> something about sharing the code in the contest rules, if I remember
> correctly..

Yes, I'd like people to share code but maintain authorship.  And I will
arbitrate any authorship disputes.  That's why I treat you as the author
of Oystron rather than Jim Nitchals.

Whoever donated code to Crackers would do so knowing that the final game
would be considered Chrackers' exclusive baby as far as the contest is
concerned.  The donator could always use the same code to make his own
game and hence compete with Crackers so it wouldn't necessarily be a
waste of his effort to help Crackers in this way.

This kind of thing happened all the time for real.  Yes, the games were
typically the product of one person, but not necessarily 100%.  There was
a lot of code sharing and collaboration going on behind the scenes, but
the overall game credit still would lie with one person.  Larry Kaplan, I
believe, got a lot of help making the graphical touches on Kaboom from
David Crane.  Carol Shaw also got a lot of help for River Raid.

> What about another prize for the "best unfinished game"? :-))

Unfinished is okay in certain circumstances.  For instance, Oystron is all
done save for any optional tweaks.  It's already a contender.  It just has
to be basically playable without any obvious rough edges to it.