Re: [stella] Multi game with collision detection! (multi050.bin)included

Subject: Re: [stella] Multi game with collision detection! (multi050.bin)included
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 18:03:17 +0100
At 8:31 -0600 8-12-1997, Robert "A." Colbert wrote:

>Well, here it is, my "multi" game with collision detection added.  I have
>played this and played this, and determined that I am satisified with the
>results.

OK, now things are becoming interesting.. I still think that you'd better
go further than the simple shooting concept... after all Oystron would be
much less interesting whithout the collect-and-defend-the-pearls part.

A note on explosions: when something is hit, you remove it and add an
"explosion-object"; since there can be only one of these on the screen at
once, if you hit something else while the explosion is still around, it is
immediately replaced by the new explosion. I don't like this very much, I
think it would be better to always let the explosion finish, and what is
hit before the end of the explosion just disappears.

Alternatively, you could handle an array of explosions - but this can be a
real waste of RAM since you've to store all the information (position,
status...) for each explosion.

Another option could be what I've done in Oystron: objects disappear when
hit unless they're the last in a group, in this case the object changes its
ID and becomes an explosion which is handled exactly as the other objects.

>This can all be easily fixed by making sure that a cloned object doesn't
>"wrap". (Whew, I'm outta breath now).

This is easier to do than to explain... tables, tables... ;-)

Ciao,
 P.