Re: [stella] Programming "Mindsets"?!?

Subject: Re: [stella] Programming "Mindsets"?!?
From: Greg Miller <gmiller@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 22:49:11 -0600
Piero Cavina wrote:

> At 07.31 03/01/98 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >What _do_ you guys think of before you make a
> >game?  What other games "inspire" you, if any?  Oystron (or was it TPS?),
> >as I understand it, went through a couple of iterations before the
> >gameplay became what it was

My current project (which I hope to release simultaneously for the 2600,
PC, and Vectrex) started out when I asked myself "how can I produce
something with Tempest 2000's rhythm but different gameplay?" I tacked
on elements of other games (Centipede, Breakout, etc) and came up with
something moderately original (blocks advance, you push them back with
your cannon... You score points when various critters come out and
destroy blocks for you, or as a result of power-up abilities). The
player keeps the game going, while most of the scoring is done by the
"thingamabobbers"... By the time it's done, I'll be adding bonus rounds
with different gameplay, lots of enemies, power-ups, etc. If anyone has
suggestions, feel free to send 'em my way... I think a big part of what
makes T2K fun is the combination of rhythm with variety. You do the same
thing over and over, but there are enough different things to keep you
interested, combined with nearly continuous gameplay (to keep you from
thinking "man, I don't really feel like starting another wave").

> >PS Quick Mac update:  I have put that on the back burner as I go back to
> >work and order (the horror!  What a traitor!) Virtual PC!  I feel like
> >I'm cheating, but this whole compilation thing has driven me crazy!
>
> Virtual PC? That's nothing.. I've always been a Mac user, but last summer
> I've bought a whole PC mainly to run all those emulators that aren't
> available for the Mac... :-)

Why not? With decent PC's breaking under $700 and 3Dfx boards selling
for $99 new, there isn't much reason not to own one... Gotta love the
sudden price collapse.

--
Video games and CCGS: http://www.angelfire.com/tn/squirrels
TW (online game): http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/1367