Re: [stella] Programming "Mindsets"?!?

Subject: Re: [stella] Programming "Mindsets"?!?
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 12:47:03 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Ruffin Bailey wrote:
> I didn't mean to suggest that football wasn't a great game or a great

Actually, the game itself sucks compared to later offerings, especially
Doug Neubauer's 3D super-football.  Only within its historical context is
it a good game.  Technically, though, it was innovative.

> My point was that the design is rather straightforward.  I can quickly
> see how most everything was done in that game.  And today, since I can

That may be true, but the 2600 was not designed with venitian blind in
mind.

> Just that the most obvious addition to Pac-Man that differs from
> Football, to me, is that the game has to count how many dots one player
> has collided with in the playfield.  I really have no idea how the

That's straightforward game logic, which is hardly as tough to write as
the graphics kernel itself.

> (eg, diagonal platforms like those in Donkey Kong.  This is not an easy
> task if I want a flexible enough core in my game to store many boards in
> a small amount of memory.

If you want to store many boards, you should move to the Starpath
multiload environment, without a doubt.

Have you decided on a format yet?  Does it have to be just a 4K ROM?  This
will enforce the biggest constraints.