Re: [stella] Multiload test of Platform Game (DROID)

Subject: Re: [stella] Multiload test of Platform Game (DROID)
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 21:08:43 +0100
>internally).  I still don't have a Supercharger of my own, so comments
>please on whether this loads and/or runs on the real thing :-) (I've only
>run this on PCAE)

I have tried it on my Supercharger and all I got was a black screen.

It seems, that you have the writing enabled on load time and that the
code starts at $F000. That might not work, since accessing addresses
in the first ROM page with writing turned on will initialize writes
instead of running the code. You could try loading the game with
writing disabled and only turn it on, when you are not accessing
anything in the first 256 bytes.

Also you don't have the SC-ROM powered up at load time. I havn't looked
at your code, but you need to turn that on later, when you want to
load something. The emulator might not require that.

Another thing with SC-writes, that the emulators don't do right,
are indexed writes over page boundaries. On the emulators nothing
happens, when you do an indexed write, that goes over a page boundary,
but on the real thing the write would wrap around and happen to the
beginning of the lower page. That could crash your game, if it hits
important code or data.

BTW it would be nice, if you could send every load in a seperate file
with your next release, since it is easier to merge the files together
for use with the emulator, than it is to seperate one big file for
use with makewav. At least under DOS it is.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg