Re: [stella] variations on a theme

Subject: Re: [stella] variations on a theme
From: Erik Mooney <emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:12:58 -0500 (EST)
> - player-seeking invaders-bombs: before disappearing, the bombs move
> horizontally towards the player for some pixels.

Sounds good, especially since it should take no RAM and about 20 bytes of
ROM.

> - (you'll like this): if you miss the invaders and the saucer, the whole
> formation goes down one row :-)

Too difficult, I think... especially when there's only one invader left
and you miss it three or four times befoire hitting it.

I have the feeling that this happened accidentally while testing some
other stuff and you liked the effect :)

> - wild-saucer: it comes out continuosly, but you must not shoot it (or
> you'll die).

That sounds interesting, too... go ahead :)

> - floating shields, like in Atari Space Invaders.

That'd require changing the destroy-shields routine a little more than I'd
like... you can do it if you want, but it'd probably more effort than it's
worth.  You could have a game variation with no shields easily, though.

> - challenging stages: each n-th stage is a challenging stage. Here, the
> invaders formation is not complete, and they can't drop any bomb. The goal
> of the stage is to kill al the invaders starting from the topmost row. If
> you make a mistake, that is you kill an invader before finishing all the
> upper rows, the stage ends and you lose the bonus points. Each stage will
> have a different, more difficult, invaders formation.

Hm.  You should definitely have the ROM space to make a bunch of invader
formations, so that isn't a problem.  I think this is doable, if you make
the score routines handle more than 4 digits (this extends the game
significantly), and make sure to balance the scoring in it.

> BTW, don't ask for invisible invaders... I'd have too many things to change.

The mere concept of even trying to make the kernel do that had me laughing
for about five minutes :)