Re: [stella] variations on a theme

Subject: Re: [stella] variations on a theme
From: Lee Seitz <lkseitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 12:27:19 -0600 (CST)
Piero Cavina boldly stated:

>I'm putting together some ideas which could be introduced into INV.
>
>- player-seeking invaders-bombs: before disappearing, the bombs move
>horizontally towards the player for some pixels.

I like this idea, as long as they have a very short range.  (No more
than the width of an invader each way from the impact point.)  Would
all bombs do this or only some?  If the latter, you'd have to make
sure the player could distinguish between the types.

>- (you'll like this): if you miss the invaders and the saucer, the whole
>formation goes down one row :-)

Yi!

>- wild-saucer: it comes out continuosly, but you must not shoot it (or
>you'll die).

I'm not too crazy about this one.

>- floating shields, like in Atari Space Invaders.

Or this one.

>- challenging stages: each n-th stage is a challenging stage. Here, the
>invaders formation is not complete, and they can't drop any bomb. The goal
>of the stage is to kill al the invaders starting from the topmost row. If
>you make a mistake, that is you kill an invader before finishing all the
>upper rows, the stage ends and you lose the bonus points. Each stage will
>have a different, more difficult, invaders formation.

This is a great idea!  However, by "lose the bonus points," I hope you
simply mean they will not be added to the player's score.  Not that
they will actually be *subtracted* from the player's score.

--
Lee K. Seitz * lkseitz@xxxxxxxxxx * http://fly.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/
Classic Video Games Nexus:  http://fly.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/cvg/nexus/