Re: [stella] adventure

Subject: Re: [stella] adventure
From: Chris Wilkson - MCD <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 18:34:17 -0800 (PST)
> At 0:26 -0500 12-01-1998, Chris Cracknell wrote:
>
> >I haven't looked at the commented source code for Adventure yet, but
> >does anyone know off hand if it uses the same basic graphics kernal for
> >all the screens with the Playfield graphics being pulled from data?
> >That would make new versions very easy. The multi-load feature would be
> >easy too. Have a task for each level, complete it, move to the next.
> >
> >Although it's still tempting to just rewrite it with new routines.
>
> I'm not very positive about the possibility of expanding Adventure starting
> from the existing source and adding Supercharger support.
>
> It's sure that a new, huge, ultra-cool version of Adventure would be
> possible keeping the old program as a reference, using Bob's
> intelligent-flicker routines in the kernel, and adding SC support.
>
> But this would be another large and ambitious project for people with a lot
> of free time... :-(

Flicker is an integral part of Adventure as we know it.  How else is one
supposed to realize "Hey!  There's another object in this room!"?? ;)

Regarding the location of the secret room...
I think it's "south" (down) from one of the blue maze rooms.  I don't remember
which one.  Someone with extra time can find out by going to the signature room
and trying to go north.  The other room will appear briefly.

Speaking of getting stuck, the bat stuck me inside a wall!  This sucked!!
I was going through the blue maze with one of the keys, and along came the
bat...carrying the bridge.  Well the bat flew past me, allowing me to merge
with the wall I was running along, then took the key, and left the bridge.
Not where I could reach it...just close enough to make me cry.  AAARRRGGHHHH!

Video Game Rule #1:  Bats suck!
(Borrowed from you, Chris...I think)

-Chris