Re: [stella] adventure

Subject: Re: [stella] adventure
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 22:57:47 +0100
At 20:30 -0800 12-01-1998, Glenn Saunders wrote:

>> I'm not very positive about the possibility of expanding Adventure starting
>> from the existing source and adding Supercharger support.
>
>Considering that Superman and HH were written using Adventure as a
>reference, I assume that the engine is fairly portable and generic.

Yes, but not enough generic as I hoped...

>This family of games (and you may want to include Raiders as the final
>evolution although it kinda goes beyond it) are, to me, what symbolize the
>uniqueness of the 2600 and its game catalog in the way that, for instance,
>Star Raiders symbolizes the Atari 8-bit.

They've been the real precursors of modern interactive, graphical computer
games.

>Warren claims it was based on a teletype adventure game, but
>with the move to a graphical format, it's a totally different genre
>altogether.

He was probably inspired by the classic PDP-10 game "Adventure", but with
the Atari game he actually defined a new genre.

>I always wanted to see more games of this type.

I agree completely. There's something of these games in other titles such
as E.T., Riddle of the Sphinx and of course Dragonstomper and Survival
Island, but I'm especially interested in the beautiful simplicity of
Adventure.

Here's what I have in mind..: I would like to define a framework for the
developement of Adventure-like, Supercharger-based, games. Each load would
include tables of properties for the objects and the "world", and code to
handle particular events of that load. Then there would be a "main program"
that would handle general events and graphics. The graphic kernel would be
more or less the same of Adventure, ie lo-res reflected playfield, vertical
barriers made from missiles, a square marker as the player, and a number of
(flickering) objects.

It is possible that I will put INV back to the refrigerator to start
thinking about this. :-)

Ciao,
 P.