Re: [stella] INV21 comments

Subject: Re: [stella] INV21 comments
From: Erik Mooney <emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 10:51:25 -0500 (EST)
> No, the explosion-missile would be _less_ tall than the shooting-missile,
> and flicker around the area where the invader once was.

It'd have to be the same height.  Unless you want to rewrite the kernel.
:)

> >Probably it's not accurate, but it's the only choice, since we're doing two
> >things with the same object..
>
> But since it is flashing, there is the (hardware) possibility of interlacing
> it with a new missile.

Not really... the mplayer missiles already flicker to display each
player's missile every other frame.  Removing the second player wouldn't
help, because the kernel only checks the missile at six-scanline
intervals, so you'd have to either double the vertical speed of the
missile or display it in one position for two frames, then move it six
pixels and display it for two more frames, etc.

Interesting paradox there: flicker actually makes the missile's movement
seem *more* smooth, because the brain fills in the gaps between showings
of the missile with intermediate positions, rather than having the game
display the missile in a position where the mind doesn't expect to see it.