Re: [stella] Z26 vs. Oystron

Subject: Re: [stella] Z26 vs. Oystron
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 23:43:58 GMT
>O.K. I just released a new version (0.90) of z26
>(http://www.whimsey.com/z26.html) that supports mid-line collisions.  This
>should fix the "killer pearls".  I also added support for multiple missiles.
>Oddly enough, this also fixed Missile Command :-)  Let me know if you find
>anything else.  One thing I still don't understand though, do you know what
>causes the first 8 columns of some of the lines to be shown as black on a
>real Atari? This shows up on the lines with the multiple missiles, but why?

A real Atari blanks the first eight pixels on any line where a HMOVE is
done (remember, you're supposed to do an HMOVE right after you WSYNC.)  In
most games, this means the blanking appears every time you position an
object (see Berzerk for excellent example).  Missile Command moves its
objects every other scanline, so the TIA blanks the first eight pixels of
every other scanline.