Re: [stella] Repository

Subject: Re: [stella] Repository
From: slapdash@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Russ Perry Jr)
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 23:18:04 -0600
Erik Eid <eeid@xxxxxxxxx wrote>:
>As one who didn't even program in 8-bit assembly language before the Stella
>CD came out, I can certainly say that the learning curve is a big obstacle.

>I thought back to the early days of learning programming.  [...]  not only
>was there source code one would type in (!), but articles accompanying the
>code that would explain particular techniques.

>As far as I know, there is no similar fountain of knowledge for 2600
>programming.  We have a few arcane documents, like the Stella Programmer's
>Guide, handed down from the ancients.  :)

There are of course others, such as Harry Dodgson's Monitor Cart docs, and
Nick Bensema's "How To Draw A Playfield" document, and there is of course
the Stella list archives.

>There are a few games for which we have source code, but not all of those
>are commented.

BINs of most games are available...  Maybe it's time to disassemble all of
them so we have code examples, even if it ISN'T all commented.  That can
come in time.  Is anyone interested in starting up a "source code" project
officially?

>I think the only technique dissected separate from a game that I've seen
>is a sprite-positioning routine from SoundX.

I take it you're fairly new here?  There have been lots of other little
things dissected on the list here.

>What would be immensely useful is to collect techniques as well as full
>games.  Wouldn't the beginners out there love to know how to create a
>six-digit score, read the paddles, do bankswitching, or reuse the sprites
>while drawing a non-symmetrical playfield?

A lot of this HAS been covered before, though not necessarily with an
accompanying tutorial.

>I know I would.  The main thing that's kept me from starting a game has
>been seeing just how large and insurmountable that first step appears.

For me it's time, but I admit, I'd love to have a nice, comprehensive guide
to help me out when I finally get around to it.

>Share your wisdom!  Collect it in a massive volume and
>distribute it to the masses!  :)

I've been thinking recently how nice it would be to have a nice primer,
but I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough to make it, and unfortunately
the people who are best qualified are busy writing games in what little
spare time they have.

||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #105   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    slapdash@xxxxxxxxxxxx    VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||