Re: [stella] Double-ended carts?

Subject: Re: [stella] Double-ended carts?
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 08:53:25 GMT
>> It would cost over twice as much if you used the same production
>> techniques as the other new carts, like Okie Dokie.  Why?  Because you
>> would have to scrap double-enders and they are worth more to most
>> collectors than your average extra pac-man and berzerk.  If you were to
>> work out a way to use common carts and "connect" them into a double-ender,
>> the price would still be slightly more than twice the price of a single
>> cart.  I much prefer the idea of a 4-in-1 or an 8-in-1 with a 2 or 3
>> switch dip.  Over that I prefer a menu-driven cart!  :)
>
>Yes, but if you made your own circuit boards, and molded your own carts,
>you could sell two games for not much more, if any more, than a single game.
>In theory, you could attach both ends to just one 8K chip to make two 4K
>games.
>
>How much of this is practical, I don't know.

That's what I was supposing originally - one board with two sets of
connectors, though I was thinking of two 4k roms rather than one 8k.
(would it work to connect VCC to A12 from one connector - this'll be the
high 4k of the ROM - and connect GND from the other connector to A12 to
make a double-ender with nothing extra but the board and an EPROM?  Chris,
what'd be the price increase over the boards you already said you could
do?)

We wouldn't scrap existing double-enders for cases, though new cases might
need to be made.  Looks difficult to cut a hole in the front end of a
standard case for another connector.  New cases do mean we don't need to
use *any* parts from old carts, too (not *all* of us have fifty Combats
lying around :) )