Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 18:12:07 +0200
At 00:34 09.04.98 GMT, you wrote:
>Looks lousy on the emulator, as most flickered objects do, but looks quite
>decent on the real thing.  (another incentive for people to buy a cart, if
>Eckhard or anyone makes a game out of this :) )

If I would try to make this into a game, the biggest problem for me
would be that I can't do a test cartridge for myself to try the game
out on a real VCS. That and the fact, that my graphics would probably
look like Froggo Karate. :-)

>Great :)  BTW, it looks like the players can't move into the leftmost two
>pixels of the screen - is this because the joystick-read code doesn't allow
>it, or because the display routine doesn't work in that case?

It's only one pixel and you can't move there, because I was too
lazy to implement that. I use Jim's single cycle delay routine
for positioning with three pixels for each cycle. To use the
last pixel too, I would have had to implement some extra checks
for that case.

>There's also another issue we haven't touched - how do you do controls for
>high punch, high kick, low punch, low kick, and block with only one
>button?! :)

If the 17 possibilities, that a one button joystick offers are
not enough, we could use Budokan's control scheme. Moving the
stick to any of the 9 possible positions would start some basic
movements like stepping or bending to the sides or jumping etc.
If you press the button during that movement and press the stick
in a different position, some special attack would be startet.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg