Re: [stella] does the processor stop during VSYNC?

Subject: Re: [stella] does the processor stop during VSYNC?
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 18:23:15 +0200
At 13:36 08.04.98 -0400, you wrote:

>Yeap, Stella 0.7 doesn't care about the number of scan lines in a frame.
>I'd like to change this in the next release of Stella, however, I
>need some information.  What is the minimum and maximum number of
>scanlines for NTSC and PAL systems?  And what happens when the number
>of scanlines is outside these bounds (does the screen roll)?

There are no definite minimum and maximum numbers. It depends
on your TV with how many scanlines it still can sync. If you
do a sync signal before the the TV is ready again, it will just
go on displaying. If you do to many lines, the TV will force
a sync signal on it's own and return to the top of the screen.

You also asked about additional features for Stella. How about
PAL support including the infamous loss of colour in frames
with odd numbers of lines. Or at least a scanline counter in the
debugger, so that one could see if he is doing the right number
of lines.

A interface that lets you specify the things like cart or
controler type without having to restart the whole emulator
would be nice.

And you could fix the inacuracies with the Supercharger writing,
the Cosmic Ark stars and the RESPx multiple sprites trick. :-)

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg