Re: full-screen color playfield (was Re: [stella] Classic people in Next Generation mag)

Subject: Re: full-screen color playfield (was Re: [stella] Classic people in Next Generation mag)
From: Chris Wilkson <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 17:32:52 -0700 (PDT)
> Perhaps every odd scanline should concentrate on matching blue and green
> values against everything, and every even scanline should concentrate on
> matching red values against everything.
>
> In the easiest implementation, what you'd get is something similar to
> Colorview for the Atari 8-bit where each scanline is assigned a part of
> the spectrum (in its case, red green and blue).  But it doesn't have to
> be that way.

It would be interesting to see this done with a 2600...

I remember a color digitizer that was available for the Coco3 that could
display an advertized 4096 colors in near-photo quality resolution.  My
understanding was that they used a medium-res graphics mode (could've been
640x192, though...don't quite remember) and flickered 3 images - R, G, and B.
Might have been RBY...don't remember.  Maybe black too.  Anyway, when
digitizing a pic, you only needed a B/W video cam! You'd use lighting gels
to filter the proper color.  I guess there was noticable flicker, but I saw
some time lapse photos (delay = 3 video frames) taken of the screen,
and it was amazing.

-Chris