[stella] Formats

Subject: [stella] Formats
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 01:50:30 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 4 May 1998, Andrew Davie wrote:
> we were to write - some are OK, some are awful.  All caused me a lot of
> sleep loss.  Now I'm working on a 2600 game just for me :)

If your goal is to push the 2600 to the limit and you plan on a cartridge
than I would suggest you go with a banked ROM + RAM configuration of some
type.  We've been having some discussions along those lines and it seems
as if anyone comes to a decision on a cartridge format that there will be
a means to mass produce these, and also since one of the authors of a 2600
emulator is present, even if a new cartridge format is proposed (like some
exotic 32K SRAM or something)) there is a good chance that he could
integrate it so that you could use an emu for debugging it.

4K is enough for a minimalist game, as so many games demonstrated, but it
takes more memory to do busier kernels with more gfx (i.e. Solaris, 16K).

The best overal existing format, IMHO, is the Supercharger.  For those who
already own one, $0 hardware cost and modular code via multiload opens up
lots of depth, plus more RAM to work with than even a 16K superchip cart.
It's just hard to sell commercial software as .BINs vs. carts.