RE: [stella] Formats (64K Flat Model??)

Subject: RE: [stella] Formats (64K Flat Model??)
From: Erik Mooney <emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 11:29:32 -0400 (EDT)
> Well, in my Jumpman clone (which has been pretty much placed on hold
> until this summer), it wouldn't be too tough to create an algorithm that
> created quite playable boards by itself.  Since 50-60 _fancy_ boards

You could do that on the SUpercharger... store the generated boards in
RAM.  Or you could do a multiload for four to ten boards at a time if
they're pregenerated.  But I like the idea of having it all on a cart :)

> could take up 64K without any trouble, I wouldn't mind seeing a larger
> cart.  And I just figured while we were at it, might as well
> over-engineer than not!  ;)  Not to mention all the timing issues than
> can be circumvented by having creative branching in your now very long
> display drawing kernal.

Creative breanching?  I'd think it'd be the other waqy round.... you could
unroll almost the entire kernel in a large ROM space.

> And I will have to respectfully disagree with your assertion than this
> mythical 1 meg cart (by 1 meg, I merely meant to symbolize "much bigger
> than we anticipate needing") would kill the nostalgia.  If it's got two
> sprites, reflected/mirrored playfields, whatever groovy sound chip is in
> there, and a 6507 to run the whole shibang (leaving the display sync to
> the software), it's going to walk, talk, and look like a duck, er,
> 2600!!!

I know you're not a PC guy, but still, remember the last time someone said
"Oh, no one's ever gonna want more than 1 meg of space..." :)