RE: [stella] Formats (64K Flat Model??)

Subject: RE: [stella] Formats (64K Flat Model??)
From: "Ruffin Bailey" <ruffin91@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:04:42 PDT
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this, but once something's on my
hotmail account that I use at work, I often don't get to it for a while
and forget about it when I'm home!

>> [As my game] could take up 64K without any trouble, I wouldn't mind
>> seeing a larger cart.  And I just figured while we were at it,
>> might as well over-engineer than not!  ;)  Not to mention all the
>> timing issues that can be circumvented by having creative branching
>> in your now very long display drawing kernal.
>
>Creative breanching?  I'd think it'd be the other waqy round.... you
>could unroll almost the entire kernel in a large ROM space.

In JW (the name of my game), I have a few sections of code in the screen
drawing kernal that do very specialized things to save cycles.  If one
check in the screen kernal is only performed after another check has
proven true, I'll have nearly identical loops where, in the second loop,
I replace the first check with the second.  Nothing fancy, but more
space means I can get really creative with the screen drawing and not
sacrifice space for the actual boards (which, with each passing week get
more and more complicated (for better or for worse! ;)).  Though your
point is well taken.  I could have a specialized loop for each scan line
(to take the extreme case) and not worry about "zipping" each board like
I do now.

>I know you're not a PC guy, but still, remember the last time someone
>said, "Oh, no one's ever gonna want more than 1 meg of space..." :)

Hey, even us Mac users need more than 1 meg now-a-days!  ;)

Ruffin Bailey
rufbo at cetlink.net