Re: [stella] Demo #1 of my 4 colour playfield game "PUSH"

Subject: Re: [stella] Demo #1 of my 4 colour playfield game "PUSH"
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 16:47:11 +0200
At 18:39 10.05.98 -0700, you wrote:

>> I used to use something simple like...
>>
>>     org $80
>> vara    ds 1
>> varb    ds 2
>> varc    ds 5
>
>Well, certainly that's possible I suppose, using .byte directives, but
>the problem with that is that for the 2600 you need to create 4096-byte
>files and that method would create extraneous bytes.

Actually it is possible with DASM. You need to use the SEG
pseudoopcode like

     SEG.U variables ;this segment won't produce output
     ORG $80
vara ds 1
varb ds 2
varc ds 5

     SEG code        ;this segment will get into the bin file
     ORG $F000
etc.

You can use the SEG command to have different banks with the same
origin too. That is helpfull for writing bankswitched programs.

>Perhaps a Stella-specific DASM should be compiled.  And it should also
>be of DASM 2.12, since I know it exists, if only for the Amiga...

A PC version of DASM 2.12-04 exist. It can be found in the
C64 devellopment directories of ftp.funet.fi . I have posted
the exact URL the the list some time ago and can do again,
if you can't find it on your own.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg