Re: [stella] optimization : sneaky fractional bit repr

Subject: Re: [stella] optimization : sneaky fractional bit repr
From: <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 10:11:34 +0200
Andrew Davie wrote:

>Here's an old favourite of mine.

>RAM is pretty tight on the 2600, this one could come in handy for those with
>really really tight space problems.  Its a way of using, say, 2 and a HALF
>bits to represent a particular datum.  That is, you don't have to use a
>whole number of bits.

Aaarrgh... did you use that in a program too?
I think it would be very cycle-consuming to do this.

>I came up with this idea on the C64 back in 86 or so, when space was real
>tight.

Come on, on the C-64, it couldn't have been THAT tight! Except, maybe,
if you used it for packing playfield levels?

And from David:

>Hmmm...  Yes, I've done this sort of thing when writing adventure games for
>the Casio PB-100 (trying to cram everything into 1.5KB), although the
>advantage there was that space was the problem, and *not* time.  Trying to
>perform a division in limited time is a real pain, whereas shifting bits
>always takes the same amount of time.

Uh... that reminds me of my "Mario & Yoshi" port I did on the Sharp
PC-E220 - in Basic. I think it still lurks around in its memory. I
renamed it to "Mario & Willi" - two people at the Karaoke Club who
couldn't stand each other.

>I've tried to push playfield graphics hard with my platform game - Droid -
>which you probably won't have seen because I haven't posted a version since
>you joined the list (RSN though!).  I'm going to tidy up the source code so
>I can post the next version with full source - and I'd welcome your views
>and comments!

In case you didn't notice, all files since the start of the list are
stored at the Stella Archives at
http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/. You can search for them
there - if you got full Internet access, not only E-mail, that is.

With love (and my PC-E220 still in the bag)
Kurt Woloch