Re: [stella] Randy Crihfield's address

Subject: Re: [stella] Randy Crihfield's address
From: Songbird <forhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 08:29:04 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 21 May 1998, Ruffin Bailey wrote:

> Having been forced to take Honors Economics in College *groan*, I'm
> going to have to refute this one.  First of all, where there are finite
> funds, any and all expenditures have an influence on any other potential
> purchases.  Gameboy games and 2600 games are no exceptions.  If I do buy
> GB Donkey Kong (or perhaps something more pressing like Jag Battlesphere
> or that 3D accel card Matt's getting me so danged jealous of), I'm not
> going to have the dough for Edtris and Oystron (both carts I'd like to
> have).  And if Quake 2 comes out for the Mac before I get money saved
> up, Oist and Ed will get pushed back even further!

I agree.  I've never actually installed a 2600 emulator, so I haven't had
the privilege of playing Oystron, et al., but I'd really like to pick up
the cart eventually.  However, I'm already spending hundreds of $$ each
year on "higher priority" hobby items like Lynx Lemmings and Jaguar Voice
Modems. :-)  $16 is a fair price (I paid that for Edtris), but I can't
justify buying every game out there when I realistically only plug in my
7800 once every six months.

> I've been struggling with:  Shouldn't we be more protective of our .bins?
>  With every attachment on the list going up on the net, isn't this going
> to hurt sales?  Edtris demand is still high lo these many years later,
> but will Oystron keep pace?

I'd recommend protecting bins.  I know it's becoming more difficult to
release finished-but-never-published Lynx games because a lot of the .bins
are floating around on the net.