Re: About SHIPS.ASM (was: Re: [stella] Jim's heart

Subject: Re: About SHIPS.ASM (was: Re: [stella] Jim's heart
From: <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:51:42 +0200
On Tue Jun 16 22:53:05 1998, Piero Cavina wrote:

>; initialize Y and jump to kernel:, line2:, line3: or line4:
>; to enter the main loop according to the sinking level
>; if you don't enter the loop from kernel: you'll have to initialize the
>graphic registers too -
>; obviously, this is easier to say than to do :-)

>kernel:
> STA WSYNC
> LDA ForeColor,Y
> STA COLUPF
> LDA PF1Graphics,Y
> STA PF1
> LDA PF2Graphics,Y
> STA PF2
> (...you may put your code for sprites and missiles here...)

>line2:
> STA WSYNC
> (...even more cycles for your stuff here...)

>line3:
> STA WSYNC
> (...or here...remember that in the kernel, we're often preparing things in
>advance...)
> (...ie you might need to do some math here for use in the next scanline...)

>line4:
> STA WSYNC
> (...as above...)

> DEY  ; always try to count backwards
> BPL kernel ; or BMI-JMP if the branch comes to be out of range

I thought of another thing here. Since the ship body can end at kernal:,
line2, line3, OR line4,
I'd have to offer a possibility in each scanline to exit this kernel
part. And then, how do I determine whether to leave or not? Still, I
could hide those things BEHIND writing all registers, after everything's
done... maybe it's even impossible to let the ship sink only one
scanline at a time this way?

With love (and still many things to rearrange)
Kurt Woloch