Re: [stella] Allow me to introduce myself

Subject: Re: [stella] Allow me to introduce myself
From: <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 08:59:23 +0200
At Mon Sep 14 19:09:53 1998, Eckhard Stolberg wrote:

>>I'm an Electrical Engineer/CompSci major Junior in college, and a master of
>>the Rubik's cube.
>
>Really? The only way I could solve that thing was by peeling of the
>colour foils and putting them back in the right order. Or I broke
>the thing apart and reassembled it. :-)

Aaargh... lamer!
I was a master on this too, at the age of 10. In October 1981, I made
4th place in a cubing competition at a local warehouse. I could solve it
under two minutes. Of course I lost some practice now, but I think I
could still solve it under 5 minutes today.
That was before the whole electronic games thing started... the official
"school hobbies" went from Rubik's Cube in 1981 to these little Nintendo
Game&Watch (and similar) games in 1982-1983, to video games like the
Atari 2600 in 1984, and on to computers (mainly the C-64) in 1985-1987,
followed by the Amiga in 1988-1990... then I left school.
This was from my point of view of course. I'm sure it was different for
younger people than me, including other consoles, other puzzle games, of
course the Game Boy, Playstation, Nintendo games and the PC.

By the way, Eckhard, if you still want to learn to solve the cube,
there's many places on the Internet about that now.

With love (and many cubes to solve)
Kurt Woloch