Re: [stella] Trak-ball 3-kind

Subject: Re: [stella] Trak-ball 3-kind
From: Bob Colbert <retroware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 12:56:41 -0600
At 03:23 PM 2/4/99 +0100, you wrote:
>At 16:11 03.02.99 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>Do you have the Black/Creme version? Which was factory designed for both
>>computers/VCS

Hi,
	I have tried the Black/Creme version under both the ST and Amiga settings
on Stell-A-Sketch and it doesn't work under either.  Let me give a quick
explanation of how the trackball works:

As we all know, the Atari Joystick has 4 directional buttons.  The
trackball uses these 4 connections to determine which direction the
trackball is moving.  It does this by sending out a series of joystick
moves.  I don't have the exact moves used, and they differ from platform to
platform (Amiga is different from Atari ST is different from VCS).

NC = NO CONNECTION, joystick at rest...

Mouse moves left:

Up NC Left

Mouse moves right:

Left NC Up

Mouse moves up:

Right NC Down

Mouse moves down:

Down NC Right

Now these patterns are cyclical, meaning that the "Mouse moves down"
example would work if the series "NC Right Down" was sent.

Now let's pretend that the above example is true for the Amiga and for the
Atari ST "Mouse moves down" is Left NC Right.  Switching the wire inside
the trackball that represents "Down" with the one that represents "Left"
would make the "Mouse moves down" work for the Atari ST.  So the point is
that it is possible to modify these devices to work on a different platform
very easily.  I didn't have access to a Trackball when I wrote
Stell-A-Sketch, so I didn't build compatability in (though it works in JS
mode of course).  It is a simple matter of using a different lookup table
to get each device to work.

Hope I haven't confused the heck out of you!

					Bob