Re: [stella] Tetris copyright?!!!

Subject: Re: [stella] Tetris copyright?!!!
From: Galen Tatsuo Komatsu <gkomatsu@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 02:29:02 -1000
	This aspiring copyright law geek doesn't really have anything
much to add that hasn't already been said, so he'll just nitpick and
add to some of others' postings. =^)

Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:00:14 -1000
From: Pete Holland <petehollandjr@xxxxxxxxx>
> 2)  About three years ago, Taito released a game called "Fighter's
> Destiny."  The response was a modicum of interest from fighting game
> fans (such as myself) and a lawsuit from Capcom, who felt that the

	Not Data East's "Fighter's History"?  Or did I miss another one?
(I liked this game, so I tend to remember this one. =^)

> God's sake, how many Wolfenstein clones are there (Doom and Quake are
> from the same company!)?  As much as it pains me to say it, it comes

	Goes back a bit further, before Wolfenstein3D, the ID boys
released a trilogy called "Catacombs of <something>."  Released through
Softdisk Publishing.  Basically a simpler version of W3D (rather, W3D
expanded on Catacombs.)

Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:56:01 -1000
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> It does make me wonder what would happen if a game like football wasn't
> as old as it is (and probably past copyrighting).  I wonder if someone
> will copyright ultimate frisbee?

	They'd have to copyright it under a different name.  I believe
"Frisbee" is trademarked by Wham-o.  Proper litigation-free term is
"flying disc." =^)

Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 06:20:34 -1000
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> At 10:33 AM 2/23/99 +1000, Lord Spambraticus of Borg wrote:
> >Good luck.  The game's worthless now, except as an oddity of its age.

> Given the fact that people are still making money from the first videogame
> (keychain game version of Pong), I find it hard to believe that there is no
> money left to be made from Tetris.

example: the recently released "Magical Tetris Challenge"

...from the fine print in the advertisement:
    Tetris (C) 1987 Elorg. Magical Tetris Challenge(C) 1998 Elorg.
    Original Concept & design by Alexey Pajitnov. Magical Tetris
    Challenge (C) licensed to the Tetris Company and sublicensed
    to Capcom Co., Ltd.  Magical Tetris Challenge^tm sublicensed to
    Capcom Co., Ltd. by the Tetris Company. All Rights Reserved.