Re: [stella] Would you look at that!

Subject: Re: [stella] Would you look at that!
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:12:39 +0100
> Just one problem:  They seem to roll.  (the ole "your vertical hold is off"
> problem)   I also madewav'd OkieDokie from the bin that comes with Stella
> 0.7, and that rolled as well.  Elk Attack, on the other hand, does nothing.
> Maze003, on the third hand or foot or something, works like a charm...

Elk Attack is 8kb and should not work on the SC anyway, but the rest
of your problem sounds like the problem I had with my TV and that has
filled several threads on this list already. :-)

The problem is that your vertical hold is off a little bit. The TV
broadcast and most VCS games will work, but some games with time
saving syncing routines won't. If you do:
ldx #0
lda #2
sta WSYNC
sta VSYNC
sta WSYNC
sta WSYNC
sta WSYNC
stx VSYNC
everything should work fine even on a slightly detuned TV. But if you
do something between the three WSYNCs, like setting up a timer, the
picture will roll.

I have no idea why this happens, but it should be possible to tune
the vertical hold so that all VCS games and the TV broadcast will
sync fine.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg