Re: [stella] Color & drawing limitations questions

Subject: Re: [stella] Color & drawing limitations questions
From: Robin Harbron <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:15:18 -0500
Eckhard Stolberg wrote:
> Writing code that changes the colour of a freely moving sprite
> always at the same pixel is practically impossible. This trick
> only makes sense for stationary objects. I don't know of any
> games that change the sprite colour while it is being drawn,
> but Qbert changes the playfield colour several times per scanline
> for displaying the pyramid.

Yes, it would only be possible if the sprite was only allowed
to move at a poorer "resolution" - in other words, the sprite
would have to move, say, in multiples of 3? pixels at a time,
left and right.  Still, it would occupy far too much processor
time for what the effect is worth.
--
Robin Harbron    macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx
   http://www.tbaytel.net/macbeth